Sunday, November 18, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

I posted this picture of my Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins on my Face Book page yesterday and had several requests for the recipe.


I made these muffins using the Master Mix I found on Ginger Lemon Girl's blog site when I first started this journey.  I tried another mix but it was so bitter that it made what I used it in also have a bitter taste.  I have read that it is probably a bean flour or sweet sorghum flour that will cause that so I am steering clear of that flour in making my bread goodies unless it is used in small amounts.  Anyway here is a link to that recipe that I posted a couple weeks back. 

I made up what amounted to 10# of my version of this mix after making a small batch up a couple of times using the above mix but then you know how I can't leave anything alone!!!  I changed it up! It is absolutely amazing taste wise and does what I want my mix to do.  If you want the exact mix Carrie used then go the recipe link above....  This is my version:

Vickie's Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix...like Bisquick but better!
Makes about 18 cups of mix

2 cups of Brown Rice Flour
2 cups of White Rice Flour
1 1/2 cups potato flour
1 1/2 cups Tapioca Flour
1 1/2 cups Oat flour
1 1/2 cups pecan flour
1 1/2 cups Sweet Sorgham flour
3 tbsp of Xanthan Gum
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
6 Tbsp of baking powder
2 cups or a small can of dry buttermilk powder
1 cup dry milk powder
1 cup Crisco butter flavored shortening
1/2 c butter

Cream the butter and Crisco together in a very large bowl.   Start adding the flours in one cup at a time till the mix is all mixed up and resembles a speckled/pebbly flour mixture.  A very coarse flour if you will...then add in the remainder of the ingredients.  You can cut the flour into the mix with a pastry cutter but this is so much mix that the mixer worked better for me.  I then took the mix and put 2 cups of mix in Ziplock bags, labeled them, and stored them in my refrigerator.  According to Carrie this has a long shelf life but I didn't want to risk spoilage hence the refrigeration.  Non gluten flours and baking supplies are not cheap so you don't want to risk losing them.

You will notice that the mix doesn't have sugar or substitute in it.  I suppose you could put it in but...I thought for savory baked goods like dumplings or biscuits I wouldn't want the sugar.  I have so far used this mix for making dumplings, biscuits, pancakes, cake donut holes, muffins etc.  Yummy!


Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

2 cups of Vickie's GF Mix
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1+  cup milk (I used almond milk)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup lemon flavoring or juice
1 tbs poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 360degrees 

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  The mixture may be a super thick and you can add more milk if you like but it is a thick batter.  Spray muffin tin with spray oil.  Divide mix into the 12 muffin tin wells.  Press down lightly with finger  tips.  Spray tops with the spray oil and sprinkle with granulated sugar.   Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center of the muffin.

Okay give it a try.  These are really yummy!

No comments: