Thursday, March 7, 2013

Another busy month!

I have been having mixed emotions as to when to post on this blog and when not to.  I don't want to come across as a wimp and a whiner and for the past month I have not been feeling well and haven't posted to keep from griping and complaining.   I am sorry.  Got an email from a "fan" who read me a riot act about how we are support for one another and told me I should share the good with the bad.  OKAY!  Here goes...

I started the month with a lot of pain and problems.  I am not sleeping well still so I am up most nights and sleep way into the day.  I feel depressed that my house is all torn up and messed up and I just don't feel like doing anything to straighten it up.  There are literally days I get out of bed, take a shower, go back to bed.  I spend time in front of the computer web surfing and reading emails but that is about it.  I don't have what it takes to do all that I want to do.  If you have FM or CFS you know what I am talking about!  That bone weariness that just won't leave you alone.  I am much better off then a lot of people I know and my heart goes out to them.

I read a post today from Pain Medicine News.  Impaired functioning of the brain’s ability to process pain stimuli may negatively affect how people with fibromyalgia experience pain.  The article titled "Opioid Receptors Impaired in Fibromyalgia Patients, Study Shows."    The study shows that parts of the brain is malfunctioning in FM patients and can prove it with MRI/tomography.  Read the article....its good read!
I plan on being more involved with FM awareness this year.  I figure being a health care professional with the darn disorder it will bring more weight to the claims made regarding pain and pain control.  Pain meds don't work for me for the FM pain so I don't even bother to take them.  Some times when I have arthritic pain or a bad headache a hydrocodone pill works...but not usually.  I don't think I can become addicted or tolerant to something when it has no effect...what do you think?

I went to the doctor last month and saw the nurse practitioner.  I guess it all went well but her words were "you seem to be okay so just keep doing whatever it is you are doing" cause she couldn't offer me anything different!  I guess I should be proud I am doing so good!  I am going to make an appointment with the rheumatologist to get tests updated soon.  I just hate going in to the doctors!

I have quit most sugar, all artificial sweeteners and use stevia and honey only when possible.  Sometimes when you buy prepared you have to take the good with the bad.  My gluten free course continues on track for the most part.  Forgot the other night that I didn't do gluten anymore and ate a couple of regular saltines before my husband noticed.  Fibro Fog is what I blame that on.  It was a foggy head achy day.  Hope those go away as the weather is warmer and I can get out and about more!

I tried the Betty Crocker yellow gluten free cake mix and made funfetti cup cakes the other day.  I couldn't help myself and put purple funfetti frosting on them.  I love purple!!  I also mixed some of the candy bits in the batter.  Did you know that those candy bits are mostly sugar and cornstarch?  
Doesn't this cut open cake look yummy?  Very festive too!
The mix only makes about 15-18 cup cakes but that is enough to share!


Another thing I decided to make this month was gluten free corn dog bites.  I made them up for a Super Bowl party we were going to.  I got a headache and stayed home but Chuck said everyone loved them!
Check the previous post for the recipe.  These are good enough for a soup and sandwich meal.  Watch out for the calories though!

Thats it for today.  PROMISE and cross my heart to post more!



2 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Vickie you certainly should post on here as often as you want. It's not whinging and whining. I think it's good to be able to share how you're feeling with others who understand. I have FM & don't talk about it to most folk as I don't think they understand. But it's good to talk. Also when I read about the symptoms others experience it reassures me it's not just 'in my head' so to speak. It's also good to read what you have tried to alleviate pain etc - especially diet wise.
I too stopped the medication for pain relief as it left me in a sort of stupor all day but didn't really help with the pain.some days I get stuff done others like you just don't/ can't do anything. Some folk don't understand how debilitating it can be- especially my elderly Aunt who thinks I should be there to help her.
Anyway I could go on for ages but you'll be glad to know I'm gonna stop now.
BUT post as much as you like re FM I will listen & won't think you're just a moaner!,, lv Anne x

ria gall said...

Please don't see yourself as a moaner those of us that have FM and CFS really understand what it is to live with this and are happy to hear from others during good and bad times. Those who don't have either of these conditions can make a choice to continue reading a post or not.
Have you looked at the facebook page The Faces Of Fibromyalgia? It is a very good site where they are happy for us to rant, cry, talk and share with others.
Wishing you a pain free as possible week and sending you gentle hugs
Ria xxxxxxx