Monday, December 30, 2013

Hamburger buns

As promised here is the post for the hamburger buns I made yesterday.  I bought some special pie pans at WalMart in their Christmas stuff this year that are suppose to be for making individual pies but I decided they were priced right and I could use them to make my hamburger buns.  Doing gluten free bread baking is a challenge because the dough is not really a dough but a very stiff batter and you need to contain the dough in a pan or form of some sort.  The recipe for this bread batter is very similar to the one yesterday but I used a Kitchen Aide mixer to mix up the batter and then scooped it out into the pan forming it into the shape of a ball and pressing it down gently.

Done buns!




These pans have 4 wells just about the size of a hamburger bun and I was happy when I saw them because I haven't been able to find a pans that are specifically for hamburger bun making.  My buns came out a little flat because I tried getting 12 buns out of the recipe instead of just 8...looked like a lot of dough there to me!  Anyway next time I will make just 8!  They are fine crumb, crust is crunchy cause you use an egg wash to keep the sesame seeds on!


Here's the hamburger bun recipe!



Hamburger Buns,
gluten free of course!!

  • 2 large eggs beat well
  • 16 oz. lukewarm water, 90°F
  • 4 tbsp. melted butter or canola oil (do not use margarine)
  • 1 tsp. cider vinegar
  • 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill all purpose baking flour
  • ½ c sweet rice flour
  • ½ c rice flour
  • ½ cup tapioca flour
  • cup non-fat dry milk
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • ¼ c honey
  • 1 tbsp. zanthan gum
  • 1 ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp. active dry yeast
  • Sesame seeds 
1.     Proof yeast by taking 8 oz water and sugar and put yeast in it and let set 10 minutes.
2.     Take second 8 oz warm water and add eggs, honey, butter, cider vinegar
3.     In the mixer bowl put the flours, milk, baking powder, zanthan gum, and Salt.  Put mixing bowl on mixer stand and using wire whisk attachment (I have a Kitchen Aide Mixer)  mix flours mixture together well. 
4.     Start adding liquids to flour and blend together until well mixed…about 4 minutes.  The mixture will be more of a thick batter then a bread dough. 
5.     I used welled baking pans to form my dough into rolls…actually a Wilton individual 4-pie pan but I understand you can find regular pans that are used to make hamburger rolls but I have never seen them around here.  I used to make them just by forming my bread dough into round balls and smashing them down but this dough is too thin to do that with so I scooped up about 2/3 cup of dough and put it in the well of the pan and patted it down with well oiled hands.
6.     Once the dough is in the pan I let it rise about 20 minutes then I made an egg wash and brushed it on each roll and sprinkled the roll with sesame seeds.  Let rise additional 25 minutes cause the all purpose flour tends to need a little longer then the rice flours to rise.
7.     Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes and test doneness by tapping on top of roll.  It is done if it sounds hollow. 

I adapted this recipe from another bread recipe and I probably will be doing some tweaking to make the rolls a little lighter but they will do…very tasty!

Okay that's it for this post today.  I will publish the chili recipe tomorrow!  




           

No comments: