Friday, December 6, 2013

oopppsss....

I slipped and fell off the edge of the earth for a while but I am back and going to share a couple recipes for gluten free pancakes and soft dinner rolls.  It has been almost 2 months since I did any blogging and dear daughter says it is about time to climb back up and get on with it.

Have been feeling pretty good until this storm hit and now I am feeling like warmed over dog doodie!  Fibro folks will understand what I mean.  It is about 20f out there right now with snow and ice on the ground so I am digging in and staying home today!

Went to the rheumatology doctor on Monday and she sent me over to the hospital to get a ton of tests done.  A mammogram (haven't had one since 2004), lab that consisted of 6 tubes of blood, and 7 xrays of hips and joints.  WOW about 4 hours at the hospital and I am still worn out from it.  I hope she finds what she is looking for or I am sure she will order more until she finds what she is looking for, I am bled dry, glowing in the dark OR insurance and medicare refuse to pay for more!

So on to the good stuff...  A lot of my gluten gobbling friends are concerned from time to time that I am missing out of the good stuffs of life...Sometimes I wish I had this or that but I usually try and find a comparable or similar substitute.    Here a couple of my recent favorites.

Banana Nut Pancakes

1 cup master mix  (mix recipe is here)
1 egg
1/2 -1 cup non dairy milk substitute (I use almond milk)
1 banana mashed
1/4 c chopped walnuts
sprinkle of cinnamon

mix together and cook pancakes on a hot griddle.  Serve with butter and syrup...Yum!

Another good recipe I fixed this past week was sent to me by my DD Heather.


Gluten Free Dairy Free Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons dry active yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
2 cups rice milk (or milk) – warm but not hot
*1½ cups superfine or Asian White Rice Flour
*½ cup superfine or Asian Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
*¾ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
*½ cup tapioca starch
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 ½ teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 large eggs – use divided
¼ cup butter or non-dairy butter substitute (Earth Balance recommended) plus more for brushing the pans
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
*in place of the various flours and starches you can use 3¼ cups of a good quality, all-purpose gluten free flour blend.

Directions
Combine the yeast, sugar and warmed milk in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar. Let sit for 6 – 8 minutes or until the mixture is foamy and had increased in volume.

Combine the flours, starches (or all-purpose gluten free flour blend), xanthan gum, salt and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix for 30 seconds on medium-low to combine and break up any lumps in the potato starch.

Add the yeast mixture, 2 eggs, melted butter substitute (or butter), honey and vinegar. Mix on medium low until combined. Scrap down the sides of the bowl, turn the mixer on high and mix for 3 minutes. You should have a very thick, smooth batter.

Brush 2 standard muffin pans with melted butter (or butter substitute) or spray with gluten free, non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling about ¾ full. Alternately you can use a small (#60) ice cream scoop and place 3 scoops in each muffin tin (like a clover leaf). Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm, draft free place to rise. Let rise for 35 minutes or until the dough has almost doubled in size.

Beat the remaining egg with 1 teaspoon of water very well with a fork. Gently brush the tops of each roll with the beaten egg.

Bake for 17 – 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes.

The rolls can be made ahead – bake them, let them cool in the pans, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Warm for a few minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Servings
A gluten free recipe that makes 24

This makes beautiful soft bread like rolls.  I ate 5 and then had to tell myself they would be there later cause I wanted a soft dinner roll for so long!!   I am going to try a couple things with this recipe...1. make a standard loaf of bread to see how it turns out made that way.  It is a really super soft dough (all gluten free bread doughs are more like a thick batter then a real dough) so can't be used to make bagels etc but I think It might work to make hamburger and hot dog buns as soon as I get the pans I will let you know.  This recipe is 5 star IMHO

Okay hope you enjoy trying these recipes.  Till next time...
 

No comments: