Monday, March 11, 2013

OMG! I have the flu!

Since I wrote the blog post a few days ago my world has been rocked...but not too bad!  I think I have the flu!!  I know I have a snotty nose, sore throat, little bit of a cough, headache, and I go from hot to cold in a nanosecond, I ache all over, and my joints are actually hurting tonight...sound familiar?  I didn't take the flu shot this year because several blogs and medical sources I have read say that people with neurological issues should because it might exacerbate their problems.  I didn't take one last year either and didn't have the flu!
Flu.gov says

Flu symptoms include:
  • A 100oF or higher fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
  • A cough and/or sore throat
  • A runny or stuffy nose
  • Headaches and/or body aches
  • Chills
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)
I told my daughter that the aches and pains I have right now are no different then any other day in my life except for the snotty nose, sore throat, and cough!  I can handle the aches and pains cause my brain is trained to do so but...this snotty nose is driving me nuts.  I bought some Zyrtec D and have been taking that and I was hoping that a little Ibuprofen would help the joint and leg pains cause I don't normally have those issues.  I don't know about you guys but I have problems with stabilizing my temperature and vital signs.  I have orthostatic hypotension...I get dizzy when I bend over or go from lying to sitting or standing.  I sometimes don't have to do anything and I topple on my face.  my dear daughter shoved my falling butt on a display table at local retail store when I started weaving and trying to fall...I truly love this disorder cause people look at you so strangely when you sit among the Christmas decorations!

Some tips on what to do if you get the flu...or something like it. 
  • Drink lots of fluids.  Keep hydrated cause it helps to flush the toxins out and you will feel better for it.  I drink a Wellness tea from Celestial Seasonings Tea Co. that has echinacea in that is suppose to support and help your immune system.  I swear by it as does the rest of my friends and family and quite a few think it has helped them get better faster.
  • Watch your urine output.  If it goes from pale yellow (like butter) to a darker yellow you aren't drinking enough.
  • Eat lighter meals but stay away from heavy foods.  Chicken soup does have healing properties cause it is protein and water...try crackers, cheese, fruit etc.   I get absolutely nauseous thinking about eating beef or heavier sauced foods when I am sick.
  • Get plenty of rest
  • I take an Ibuprofen or Tylenol when my temp goes over 101degees...not before.  Don't knock out your bodies defense system.  I take a decongestant for the snotty nose and eat cough drops for the sore throat and cough.
  • If my symptoms persist I guarantee you I will go see a doctor.  
Okay I am off to bed again.  I have been up and down for several days but I think I am getting a handle on it.  I was up longer this time!

4 comments:

Anne said...

Poor you get well soon. So many people seem to ne getting flu this year.:-( xx

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon (or back to 'normal' anyway!). I have been lucky and managed to avoid a cold/flu for the past few years. Something to do with being outside a lot and not seeing many people! I get the ... hypotension as well - ended up in a large freezer in the supermarket before! Ali x

CraftygasheadZo said...

Hope you feel better soon! I end up in many in places, I have very poor proprioception due to my BJHMS so often wobble and fall into things! Add the Fibro on top which I get numb legs and can't often feel them. Hospital stuck pins in me to make sure there wasn't anything else going on as I also have Scoliosis which moves! But it's just the Fibro. What we put up with hey?!!! Take care Zo xx

Meihsia Liu said...

Hope you feel better soon. ^_^