Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week 4 and the GF lifestyle keeps on!

Week four is over and done and I am doing better then I thought I would be doing at this point in my journey.  I am not saying it has been a super easy four weeks but it has been getting progressively easier with each passing day!  I keep borrowing from my GA background...one day at a time.  If I can make it through today then I will let tomorrow take care of itself.  I focus on just today. 

Some noticeable changes since starting the diet is my increase in stamina.  I am not as tired when I first get out of bed and I don't seem to get so run down and wore out as quick.  The fibro fog brain fuzziness on waking seems to be better too but memory is still in the crapper.  My pain seems better but that is such a subjective issue since I always have good days and bad days!  


I found a yummy pizza from Mazzio's that they make and deliver to the house...yes they do they make a gluten free pizza.  It only comes in one size but it is gluten free in a foil tray to prevent cross contamination in their ovens but it can be topped with whatever GF toppings you want to put on it!  Not bad but a bit pricey at about $11 for a 10" pie.   Another alternative is making your own pizza and crusts.   
                                                                                                       
               
Bob's Red mill has this pizza mix for about $4.50 a package and it makes a pretty good size pie.  Tastes wonderful too but doesn't reheat well.  Soggy/spongey is a term that comes to mind to describe the texture!

I bought some Udi's preformed pizza crust at the health food store and it isn't too bad but once a gain is a little pricey.   Two small single serve size were over $4.  Tasty though and there weren't any left overs!

Another alternative would be to make your own from scratch   I found a recipe on About.com that sounds like it might work and plan on giving it a try.  Here is the link for the recipe.  http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/pizzasflatbreadswraps/r/GFPizzaCrust.html

On my crafting blog I showed a recipe card I had made for a swap and thought I should share it here too!  I made these cupcakes and took them to an event and everyone was questioning me as to whether they were gluten free or not.  I told them that they could eat them or not but that I wasn't giving up my secrets!  Towards the end of the event I went to the back and fixed me a cup of coffee and grabbed a cupcake and started eating it.  OMG!  The looks on some of the faces...and these were the same ones that ate two of the darn cupcakes.  You would have thought I had force fed them big juicy worms or something...another just went and got another cupcake.   I think you can read the recipe if you click on it to make it larger.  I used a bag of GF chocolate cake mix from Bob's Red Mill.  I think next cake I make I am going to substitute applesauce for part of the fat in it though.  

One thing I have found about gluten free cooking/baking is that it is fattening!  I don't know whether it is a difference in the nutrition or as I suspect the fact that I am cooking and baking so much more recently! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done for sticking to the GF. I tried it on a couple of occasions and it just didn't agree with me, made my IBS worse. I do wonder whether I should be trying to find an alternative way of coping with Fibro. It is getting worse and I don't even have a doctor to advise me. Ali x