Thursday, November 2, 2017

Connections!

I was having coffee with friends the other day and we were talking about all the autoimmune disorders WE have.  I find it amazing almost daily when I talk with other chronic pain people about various things how a like we are in out lists of autoimmune disorders.  I know!  We are a doctors nightmare on the hoof and I suspect that the doctors would say we are bitchers and complainers feeing off one another in discussing the trials and tribulations of our disease and disorders.  I call it group therapy...these are the only people who really understand what I am going through cause everyone else seems to think I look too good to be too sick!!

An article I just read on Celiac.com called Sjogren's Syndrome: The Link with Celiac Disease and how people with Sjogren's benefit from a gluten free diet.  It isn't fun and it isn't for everyone but if you get relief from your symptoms why won't you do it I asked a friend.  I have multiple auto immune diseases and don't know why I am so blessed.  What is an autoimmune disease?  It is a condition in which your immune system goes haywire at attacks your body.  Why does it happen?  Doctors aren't sure but it attacks women more then men.  Autoimmune diseases can be primary or secondary...it is caused because you all ready have one autoimmune disorder.  It started out in my childhood with a thyroiditis at 10 years of age...I have been on Synthyroid all my life.  My autoimmune have been adding up throughout my 65 years of life.
My list:

  1. Thyroiditis at 10 years of age post tonsillectomy.  I was so sick.  I don't know if that was a cause...I was told no but I wonder!
  2. psoriasis at 11 years of age...I was on antibiotics for the above
  3. Irritable bowel disease at 17 years old
  4. Roscea at 25 years old
  5. Sjogren's at about 30 years old
  6. celiac disease at 58 years old
  7. Fibromyalgia isn't considered an autoimmune but I think it will be because Vasculitis is.  
So many things out there now days!  I just know that there isn't a cure...

The early symptoms of many autoimmune diseases are very similar, such as:
  1. fatigue
  2. achy muscles
  3. swelling and redness
  4. low-grade fever
  5. trouble concentrating
  6. numbness and tingling in the hands and feet
  7. hair loss
  8. skin rashes
    There are treatments but no cures.  I have been given so many meds for the issues that I had trouble remembering from day to day why and what the pills are.  I have really trimmed the numbers down over the past couple years.    So many doctors...endocrinologist, dermatologists gastrologists, rheumatologists, internal medicine, neurologists etc.  An endless list of office visits and tests.   The best thing I have found to help myself has been the gluten free diet and elimination diet to get rid of what causes the inflammation and flare up.

    More later!

No comments: