Saturday, April 23, 2011

postural hypotension...or I get light headed when I stand up!!!

"Central and cerebrovascular effects of leg crossing in humans with sympathetic failure"
Mark P.M. Harms,* Wouter Wieling,* Willy N.J.M. Colier,† Jacques W.M. Lenders,‡ Niels H. Secher,§ and Johannes J. van Lieshout*
click the link above to read the article or go to:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2825733/?tool=pubmed

I read this article earlier today and thought to myself that it made sense to me that if you crossed your legs and kept gravity from helping the blood to flow down in to your legs that you probably would have more circulating blood for your heart and brain!! Just saying...makes sense to me!

For people with CFS/ME sometimes postural hypotension can be a real issue. I tend to tip over and fall if I try to get up too quick so I think I will try this procedure for a couple days and see if it works with me. One thing I can see with this study is there seems to be as many researchers as there were people being studied and more ways to skew the results because of so many cooks stirring the pot. Worth a try though!

1 comment:

Linda Wescott said...

Yes it can be quite a problem can't it. We seem to have problems regulating our systems. Be interested to see how you get on with this. Hug slin